Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hunting Weapons

Texas has a favorable disposition toward gun owners.  I'm not sure anywhere else in the world, with the exception of a few western U.S. states, affords the freedom and protection to own firearms, built on a sense of independence and the ability to protect oneself.  The old cliche 'if they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns' is proven all over the world.  Criminals don't think the same way law-abiding citizens do - we cannot presume that everyone thinks alike, which is the premise of those wishful to register guns, confiscate guns, decide that the guns are the problem, etc...plus, I would rather not depend on the government for my sole protection.
OK, let's talk about hunting...A neat thing about Texas is you have lots of options: including lever-actions and revolvers, bow and arrows, and high tech equipment.  I like the 'do-it-all .3006' with the necessary killing power for the biggest boar you may run into, as well as ample power for larger exotics and whitetails.  Lately, I've come to especially admire the .35 Whelen, a powerful medium range weapon, comfortable with heavy bullets.  It makes a big hole with deep penetration and is my current 'pet' rifle. My longest shot with it so far is 250 yards as it dropped a Corsican ram in its tracks.





Awhile back, I carried a M629 (.44 magnum) scoped revolver  exclusively and enjoyed the
handiness of hunting with a pistol. I've taken
turkey, whitetail, hogs, corsican and a bobcat
with it using 240 grain hollowpoints and
keeping my shots inside 100 yards. 



I have a friend that has several modern firearms and lately has been using a 30-30 lever action exclusively, with great success on hogs, turkey, deer and javelina.  Its ability to carry easy, come to arms quickly, and shoot inexpensive ammo with light recoil offers a package hard to beat - all this from a caliber that originated in 1895.

I carry a M29 revolver (.44 magnum) around with me most the time and have had some opportunities with it.  This pistol has iron sights which ensures I'm shooting within the .44 magnum's range. 
In Texas, a diversity of weapons can be useful, with plenty of opportunities. A new wrinkle this year is allowance of a crossbow during bow season for whitetails.
Pick your weapon - it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment